What Are They?
- The Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle, scientifically known as Lasioderma serricorne, is a common household pest that can wreak havoc on stored products. These small insects are notorious for infesting tobacco, dried herbs, spices, and a range of pantry items, causing significant damage and contamination.
- Color: Typically reddish-brown in color, with a distinctive cylindrical shape.
- Legs: 6
- Shape: The adult beetles have an elongated, cylindrical body.
- Size: Adult beetles measure about 2-3 mm in length.
- Antennae: Yes, they have thread-like antennae.
“We’ve had years of great experience with Jason. He’s been very prompt and thorough in servicing our needs. I would highly recommend him to anybody for pest control service.”
Leon Zt, Verified Google Review
What Habits Do Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles Have That Make Them Pests in Your Home?
Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles are known for their destructive habits regarding stored products. They lay their eggs in various dry goods, including tobacco, spices, dried herbs, seeds, and even book bindings. The larvae, which are the primary culprits behind damage, consume these items voraciously. Their presence can render stored products inedible or unusable and lead to significant financial losses.
To identify a Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle infestation, look for the following signs:
- Presence of adult beetles flying near stored products or crawling on surfaces.
- Larvae or pupae in and around stored items.
- Small holes or tunnels in infested products.
- Accumulation of frass (insect waste) and cast skins.
Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle Prevention
To prevent infestations, follow these steps:
- Store Products Properly: Keep vulnerable items like tobacco, spices, and dried herbs in airtight containers to prevent access by adult beetles and their larvae.
- Regular Cleaning: Clean your pantry and storage areas regularly to eliminate crumbs, spilled products, and potential attractants.
- Inspect Purchases: Examine products for signs of damage or infestation before purchasing and bringing them into your home.
- Dispose of Infested Items: If you discover an infestation, promptly remove and dispose of the affected products to prevent further spreading.
Top 5 Frequently Asked Questions about the Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle
What Attracts Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles?
These Beetles are primarily attracted to the scent of dried herbs, spices, tobacco, and various stored products. They possess a strong sense of smell and are drawn to the aroma of these items, which they seek for breeding and feeding. Spilled or improperly sealed grains, spices, and tobacco are particularly appealing to these pests. Maintaining proper food storage practices, such as sealing items in airtight containers, is essential to discourage Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles from infesting your kitchen and pantry.
What Kind of Damage Do Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles Cause?
They can cause significant damage to stored products. They lay their eggs in items like dried herbs, spices, and tobacco. Once the eggs hatch, the larvae spin silk threads and feed on the contents, creating webbing and excrement. This feeding activity results in damage, rendering the infested products unsuitable for consumption. In addition to the physical damage, the presence of webbing and waste from the beetles can contaminate the items, making them unappetizing and unsanitary.
Do Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles Carry Diseases?
Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles are not known to carry or transmit diseases to humans. Their primary concern is related to food contamination, spoilage, and damage to stored products. While they are not a direct health threat, their presence can lead to the need to discard contaminated items and maintain food safety and hygiene.
How Can I Get Professional Help for a Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle Infestation?
If you’re dealing with an infestation, it’s advisable to seek professional pest control services. Pest control experts have the knowledge, experience, and tools to assess the extent of the infestation and implement effective control measures. To get the best pest control services in North Carolina, consider contacting PMi Pest Management. They are a trusted pest control provider with a proven track record of effectively dealing with Drugstore/Cigarette Beetle infestations and other household pests. Their experts can help you eliminate the problem and prevent future infestations, ensuring your home is free from these troublesome invaders.
Are Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles Seasonal Pests?
Unfortunately, they can be active year-round in indoor environments, especially if the conditions are conducive to their survival. They thrive in warm and temperate climates. While they can be active at any time, they may be more prevalent during the warmer months when temperature and humidity levels are ideal for their development and reproduction. Therefore, it’s important to maintain proper food storage and pest prevention practices throughout the year to minimize the risk of infestations.
Don’t let Drugstore/Cigarette Beetles take over your pantry or storage areas
Contact PMi for a free home inspection to ensure your property is free from these unwelcome intruders. If you’ve already detected an infestation, schedule an appointment with our experts to address the issue swiftly and effectively. Safeguard your stored goods and your peace of mind with PMi’s comprehensive pest control solutions.